Tuesday, September 18, 2012

How to Make a Sewing Pattern

I feel like I have been doing so much sewing this year. I have made lots of purses and I have made lots of skirts and shirts. Let me say that I do not like using patterns from the store. I have an attention problem when it comes to following the directions and being able to figure out what they are trying to say. So I have resorted to making my own patterns. Sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't! 
You don't need very many supplies when trying to make a pattern. Lots of times I take something lay it out,  measure it and trace it. If there is something about it I don't like I will adjust it when I am drawing. 



Basic supplies are needed. I use a yard stick, a tape measure, permanent marker, pencil, objects to trace, scissors and the most important part - wrapping paper. Yep, wrapping paper! Most wrapping papers have a grid on the back. The grid is in one inch squares and make it really easy to make patterns. In the picture above I was making a pattern for a purse. So I was using a plate to help make the rounded edges.


In this picture I have a t-shirt that has lots of stains on it that I really like. I like how it is tapered and only uses two pieces of fabric. No sleeves to sew on. So to make this pattern I one inch around the shirt to make the pattern to allow for a seam allowance. I have also done this with pencil skirts.


 When I am done making a pattern I write on it what it is and if needs be the instructions on how to sew it together. I haven't made a purse in a while. I think I will create a new one soon. But the shirt above was so easy to make that I will probably make a shirt or two before I get to another purse. Look for the shirt tutorial  coming up sometime this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment